Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy part1 (tales 1-5)


The Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy are a collection of short stories written by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson and Robin Wasserman.
Do not read this review if you haven't yet read The Mortal Instrument and The Infernal Devices as it is impossible to avoid spoilers for these two series!


These novellas follow Simon as he is trained to become a shadowhunter!


1. Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy

This one is really more of an introduction as Simon arrives to the Academy. Nothing really interesting happens, except of the last few pages with a weird Sizzy scene! Simon has a really hard time not remembering his previous life as a vampire but does not wish to live as a mundane as it would be a lie knowing who he was. The problem is that he doesn't know who he wants to become! Having lost your memories totally sucks!
2.5/5 stars




2. The Lost Herondale

Actually this was pretty good! It continuous the first story and I could actually see pretty old funny Simon in there! I totally liked his perspective of the Law and I enjoyed Catarina's story so much!

Best Quotes:

"I am talking to myself, not little green men," Simon clarified."Still sane, last I checked."

"What do you want to know? Scariest is Eli in Let the Right One In, cheesiest is late-era Lestat, most underrated is David Bowie in the Hunger. Sexiest is definitely Drusilla, though if you ask a girl she'll probably say Damon Salvatore or Edward Cullen. But..." He shrugged. "You know girls."


It literally made me lough out loud!!  (Maybe just because I also thought of Damon Salvatore...! Hahahaha!!!)

4/5 stars




3. The Whitechapel Fiend

This was my favorite so far because in this one Tessa Grey visits the Academy for some history lesson! If you thought you knew the story of Jack the Ripper you are totally wrong! 
As a huge fan of The Infernal Devices I loved hanging out with  Tessa, Will and Jem. I always wanted to learn more about how their life was after Clockwork Princess!
My favorite quotes:
“To his children, Will showed the same love he had always shown to her, fierce and unyielding. And the same protectiveness he had only ever showed to one other person: the person James had been named after. Will’s parabatai, Jem.”

I called for James, she thought, and he came.

5/5 stars


4. Nothing But Shadows

One more amazing story! In this one we follow James Herondale, Will and Tessa's son, as he is too trained  in the Shadowhunter Academy! I love learning more things about the previous generations of shadowhunters! We also get to know Matthew Fairchild, Christofer and Tomas Lightwood and Ragnor Fell! I am so excited that there will be a series based on these characters! I hope Cassandra Clare will publish the first book of The Last Hour soon!!!
Totally 5/5 stars too!!
Favorite quotes:

You cannot simply ask whether people look like their demon grandfather!

James Herondale was the son of angels and demons.




5. The Evil We Love

As Simon's first year of training comes to an end, Robert Lightwood visits the Academy and tells the  new generation the story of the Circle. Taken place in the same academy many years ago, and as a former member of the Circle,Robert Lightwod explains how it was to be friends with Valentine and how everything started. Isabelle is also with him during his visit, something that makes the whole thing pretty awkward!
I was more than excited to learn more about the Circle! I always wanted to read about young Valentine and Jocelyn and see how everyone was affected by his words.
Favorite quotes:

“No. You don't get to call me Izzy, you don't send me letters, you don't follow me into dark corridors and try to save me from rats."
"Trust me, we see a rat, it's every man for himself.” 


“Have you never seen a movie? Read a comic book? That's always how it starts - just a little temptation, just a little taste of evil, and then BAM, your light saber turns red and you're breathing through a big black mask and slicing off your son's hand just to be mean."
They looked at him blankly.” 


What else? 5/5 stars!


Stay tuned for part 2!! Have you read any of these tales so far? Which one was your favorite?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)