The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)


Last month  I decided to read The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey before the movie was out.
An alien mother-ship has appeared on Earth's sky and aliens are wiping out humans in waves.


1st 
Wave...........................Lights Out

2nd 
Wave..........................Surf's Up

3rd 
Wave...........................Pestilence

4th 
Wave...........................Silencer  

They are among us...the Others.



The book follows two main characters: Cassie and Zombie.
Cassie is a 17-year-old girl who tries to survive and to find her brother, Sam. I like how fierce and determined she is. Her whole life has turned upside-down, yet she remains strong and sarcastic. That's her most famous characteristic!
Zombie is a teen soldier trained to stop the Others. Those who have survived the 4 first waves are the strong ones, those who still hope and all they want is revenge. Promises he couldn't keep still haunt him but this time he won't give up. 

Rick Yancey created a dystopian Earth that immediately makes you feel a part of it. However, I would not like to live in that world and I am sure the Silencers would have taken good care of me!! If not the previous waves! Since the Others are already walking among us I could not trust anyone too! Somewhere in the book we meet another character named Evan (who I really liked by the way!!) and I was like Ok, he is a human! No wait, he is an Other... no he is a human , an Other, a human..  and the same goes with Vosch, Reznik and every other one that appears in the book!!


The thing I liked the most about this book is how well the author describes the bond between the characters. Between Cassie and her father, Cassie and Sam, Zombie and Nugget or Zombie and Ringer, Cassie and Evan and I really won't say more and spoil anything! Some say that this book was a bit slow but let me tell you that it has action...full of it! Sure some points may seem slow but the bonding that takes place is equally enjoyable!

While reading this book I liked listening to the movie soundtrack playlist on Spotify or listening to the audio book. Phoebe Strole and Brandon Espinoza did really good jobs! It was my first time listening to a book and it was a unique experience. 
Also, Henry Jackman composed some amazing music tracks for the movie that I really enjoyed listening while reading. If you don't know him he also composed for films like the X-men and Captain America.

Even if I generally don't like alien books, I really enjoyed this one and I rated it with 4/5 stars!
(It's really hard rating a book with 5 stars after Clockwork Princess!!! Hahaha)




My favorite quote was:

"Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was 

to find something to live for. It isn't. To hold on, you have to 

find something you're willing to die for.”


Now about the movie....



Hey guys... it was not that bad that everyone seems to say! Sure some major parts and dialogues are absent and we can't really see any real bonding between the characters but it was ok! I understand that it was difficult fitting in just almost 2 hours 457 pages! And if you read the book before the movie you may be disappointed. However, I liked the actors who played Cassie's parents, I really liked Chloe as Cassie and the little boy who played Sam (Zackary). And Nick and Alex were really good as Zombie and Evan.
As a movie (not a book to movie adaptation) I rated it with 7/10 stars.


I am excited to read the sequel soon...! Especially since the last book of this trilogy is coming out this year!The Last Star is one of my most anticipated releases of 2016! And I would like a second movie...why not? What is your opinion?? Let me know in the comments below!! Till next time... Goodbye!


 


















Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog